Running can be a great addition to your fitness plan. If done properly, you can increase your distance and speed by using the correct form.
Here are 5 areas to focus on to help your running style.
1. Running Posture -Hold your head high, centered between your shoulders, and your back straight. Focus your gaze ahead of you instead of straight down. Relax your jaw and neck. Keep your shoulders relaxed and parallel to the ground.
2. Arms and Hands -Lightly cup your hand as though you were holding an egg. Keep your wrists loose. As your arms pump along your sides, your elbows should swing somewhere between your chest and waistline. Pumping your arms at a faster rate will allow for faster leg turnover.
3. Breathing -Deep abdominal or "stomach" breathing is ideal for running. To practice belly breathing; lie flat on your back with a book on your abdomen. Slowly inhale as you watch the book rise, and then lower the book by slowly exhaling.
4. Foot-strike- refers to how, where, and when the foot hits the ground. Your foot should strike the ground from heel to toe. This will help prevent injury.
5. Hill running - While going uphill, pick up your knees and shorten your stridewhile increasing your stride rate. Pump your arms at a slightly faster pace, keeping in mind that the steeper the hill, the more arm motion you will need.
Sign up for free pass to try out Royal Fitness and start running today!